1h 28min Handout
Type : Video Tutorial
Language : English
Description: Watch the outstanding Chris Lord-Algy mix “Boulevard of Broken Dreams”, Green Day’s Grammy Award-winning Record of the Year! Filmed at his private Mix LA studio in California, this video series shows how CLA tackles the challenge of mixing using only analog processing. He starts from scratch, opening up a Pro Tools production session and walking you through the basic preparation steps. Chris explains the signal path, shares his external gear, and plays back the raw tracks. Having achieved static balance, he proceeds to impulsive sound sculpture, for which he is so revered. You’ll see how it works with every element of the famous rock song, with tasteful EQ, compression and effects. He reiterates the importance of simplicity and the use of only the tools necessary for the job, showing how it can radically improve the sound in a simple way. As always, CLA is as educational as it is entertaining!
2. Static balance, console EQ, phase, parallel processing, reverb, normalising, clip gain, compression
3. Vocal slap effects, blending harmonies, bass presence, piano dynamics, outboard gear discussion
4. Comparison between units, demonstration on drum tracks, lead vocal effects, painting a landscape
5. First automation pass, console vs. Pro Tools workflow, section-based punching, reverb tail, saving moves
6. Second automation pass, listening levels, master buss in & out, panning, print, advice to novice mixers
There are subtitles in Russian, English and Spanish.
Sample files : Not provided
Video format : MP4
Video : AVC, 1920×1080, 16:9, 30 fps, 2000 kb/s
Audio : AAC, 44.1 kHz, 320 kb/s, 2 channels